6.17.2014

document the bump. third trimester.

I've been putting off writing this blog post for a few weeks now - things have been crazy here lately. when I do get a few seconds throughout the day, I've been trying to sneak in a little bit of housework or eat or shower or take a nap - basically, do all the things that are a whole lot harder once you become a mama.




my third trimester was complete insanity...

me much more tired and irritable than I normally am because I had been up all night throwing up because everytime I would try to relax and/or lie down, the acid reflux would flare up with a vengeance - it was miserable, I assure you. here's to hoping that if we ever have another baby, I manage to bypass it altogether. wishful thinking, i'm sure...

ofcourse, still trying to work 6 days a week - that got much, much more difficult toward the end. everyday, I literally drug myself out of bed and begrudgingly made my way to the office. I was considered fulltime until I was 39w, 6d and had been up all night having contractions - there was just no way I was going anywhere at that point...

still putting together the little guy's room around working and being sick... trying to make things as perfect as I could. this was one of the highlights of my pregnancy - I realized how much I enjoyed shopping and decorating and, atleast in some ways, actually being "domestic." now, if a certain husband would finish the rest of the house...

eating constantly, gaining lots of weight, growing out of just about everything in my closet, and finally having no choice but to buy maternity clothes - I bought exactly four tees and a maxi skirt. I wore yoga pants throughout most of my pregnancy and I was still wearing them the day before I delivered. lol...

going to the doctor's just about every week - finding out that I passed my glucose test, hearing his heartbeat via dopplar, and hearing the doctors' guesses about how much he weighed - they were wrong, by the way... getting told I was either gaining too much or gaining too little... and, when all was said and done, finding out that I was having a baby on my due date whether I liked it or not...

being petrified about anything and everything even remotely related to labor and delivery - reading and researching, putting together a birth plan which, for what's it's worth, never even made it into my hospital bag when all was said and done... fearing the unknown, mostly... worrying that i'd end up with a c-section... just basically being anxious about the whole thing.

finally hitting the point where I was more miserable than I was afraid and begging and pleading for him to just come already - at that point, I just wanted to go into labor and be done with it - I was so sick, tired, and sore that I didn't care anymore how much short-term pain i'd have to go through. I really just wanted to not be pregnant anymore...

so, how did the whole labor and delivery thing end up going?

two days before my due date, I started having a lot of pain - it started off as just crampy and progressed to full-blown contractions every couple of minutes, but when I called the drs. office, they said I wasn't in labor, so... I continued to suffer through it. I took a lot of hot showers... I walked... I tried my damnedest to sleep, but obviously that wasn't happened.

at my 40 week appointment, which was on my due date, my blood pressure was high and I was diagnosed with preeclampsia. I was induced that day.

so, we ended up at the hospital, got me admitted, and we went about the business of labor and delivery... I won't go too far into detail, except to say I waited a long time to ask for an epidural and when I finally did, it didn't work for very long. I ended up being given stadol. after that, I remember very little. I do remember telling a nurse that I didn't want to push because it hurt and I remember them putting him on my chest and me telling him "welcome to the world, little guy."

when all was said and done, though, all that mattered to me was that he was here and that he was healthy. it doesn't matter how miserable I was for the nine months he grew inside of me or how much pain I was in for the nine hours I was in labor because you know what? he's complete perfection and the whole experience has been nothing less than amazing. he's my little miracle and I wouldn't trade him for the world.



1 comment:

  1. oh, hun i remember those times... and it does go away when bundle of joy is placed in your arms.. as I'm counting down to my baby's arrival.. I'm in the same place worrying about how birth will go to my three kids being taken care of by their daddy especially with dd's diabetes. making sure he goes by her med plan.. etc.. so much to think about but i know it will all be worth it.

    ReplyDelete

hi! thanks for visiting dysfunctionally-functional and thanks so much for taking the time to let me know you were here by leaving a comment. it's always greatly appreciated!